Also known as:
Ospamox is one of the best forms of antibiotic available today. It is used to treat infections
caused by certain bacteria, including: infections of the ear, nose, and throat (pneumonia, bronchitis);
infections of the genitourinary tract; infections of the skin and skin structure; infections of the
lower respiratory tract; gonorrhea, acute uncomplicated (ano-genital and urethral infections) in male
Ospamox is also used before some surgery or dental work to prevent infection. It is also used in
combination with other medications to eliminate H. pylori, a bacteria that causes ulcers.
Ospamox may also be used for other purposes not listed here.
Ospamox acts by inhibiting the synthesis of bacterial cell wall and stopping the growth of
Ospamox is available in capsules.
Ospamox is usually taken every 8 hours (three times a day). It can be taken with or without
The chewable tablets should be crushed or chewed thoroughly before they are swallowed. The tablets and
capsules should be swallowed whole and taken with a full glass of water.
Take Ospamox exactly as directed. Do not take more or less Ospamox or take it more often than
prescribed by your doctor. Do not stop taking Ospamox without talking to your doctor. To clear up
your infection completely, continue taking Ospamox for the full course of treatment even if you feel
better in a few days. Stopping Ospamox too soon may cause bacteria to become resistant to
Ospamox may be taken every 8 hours or every 12 hours, depending on the strength of the product
Patients should be counseled that antibacterial drugs, including Ospamox, should only be used to
treat bacterial infections. They do not treat viral infections (e.g., the common cold). When Ospamox
is prescribed to treat a bacterial infection, patients should be told that although it is common to feel
better early in the course of therapy, the medication should be taken exactly as directed. Skipping
doses or not completing the full course of therapy may: (1) decrease the effectiveness of the immediate
treatment, and (2) increase the likelihood that bacteria will develop resistance and will not be
treatable by Ospamox or other antibacterial drugs in the future.
Diarrhea is a common problem caused by antibiotics which usually ends when the antibiotic is
discontinued. Sometimes after starting treatment with antibiotics, patients can develop watery and
bloody stools (with or without stomach cramps and fever) even as late as 2 or more months after having
taken the last dose of the antibiotic. If this occurs, patients should contact their physician as soon
In case of overdosage, discontinue medication, treat symptomatically, and institute supportive
measures as required. If the overdosage is very recent and there is no contraindication, an attempt at
emesis or other means of removal of drug from the stomach may be performed. A prospective study of 51
pediatric patients at a poison-control center suggested that overdosages of less than 250 mg/kg of
Ospamox are not associated with significant clinical symptoms and do not require gastric emptying.
Interstitial nephritis resulting in oliguric renal failure has been reported in a small number of
patients after overdosage with Ospamox.
Crystalluria, in some cases leading to renal failure, has also been reported after Ospamox
overdosage in adult and pediatric patients. In case of overdosage, adequate fluid intake and diuresis
be maintained to reduce the risk of Ospamox crystalluria.
Renal impairment appears to be reversible with cessation of drug administration. High blood levels may
occur more readily in patients with impaired renal function because of decreased renal clearance of
Ospamox. Ospamox may be removed from circulation by hemodialysis.
Store between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F) away from moisture and heat. Keep bottle closed tightly. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date. Keep out of the reach of children.